The STEP Forward Summer Camp 2014 Application will be available here in January 2014.
STEP Forward Camp is supported through gifts from ExxonMobil, Shell, Williams, Hewlett-Packard, BP, and Chevron and by grants from the National Science Foundation and the Texas Workforce Commission.
What is STEP Forward Camp?
The STEP Forward Camp is a one-week residential engineering introduction program for rising 12th graders. The program is limited to fifty students. Participants stay on the University of Houston campus in a dormitory. UH engineering students serve as camp mentors and counselors.
The STEP Forward Camp curriculum includes:
- An introduction to the various disciplines of engineering ("What do engineers do?")
- Project-based learning (hands-on team project competitions involving engineering design)
- Site visits to Houston-area engineering companies
- Field trips
- Panel discussions by working engineers and current engineering students
- Fun at the campus sports and recreation center
How much does STEP Forward Camp cost?
The cost to attend STEP Forward Camp is $300 per camper for the seven-day residential program. This cost is all you are asked to pay for your housing, meals, field trips, transportation, and supplies for the one-week program. Students may also want to have pocket money for vending machines or laundry facilities in the dorm. DO NOT send any money when applying. Those students who are notified of their acceptance later on will be asked to pay $50 of their camp fee as a deposit to hold their seat.
A limited number of scholarships are available to help defray the cost of the camp for promising candidates who might otherwise be unable to attend. Successful scholarship candidates are students who are eligible for their high school free or reduced lunch program, or can otherwise demonstrate need. Scholarships will not apply towards the $50 confirmation fee (this must be paid by all participants), but may be applied toward the balance of $250.
Who should apply to STEP Forward Camp?
- The STEP Forward Camp schedule is intensive, so only committed, enthusiastic students with an interest in math and science should apply.
- Candidates must be "rising seniors" in high school, i.e. they will have completed their junior year by camp start.
- Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents
- Females and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Texas residents are given first consideration for STEP Forward Camp
- Students who pass the preliminary acceptance process will be interviewed by telephone by our staff.
How can I apply?
To complete your application packet we need to receive all of the following:
- A completed online application form (available in January 2014.)
- A high school transcript
- PSAT, ACT and/or SAT scores (if available)
- A letter of recommendation, preferably from a math or science teacher familiar with the student
- A one-page essay from the student expressing the student's reasons for wanting to attend the camp and the student's interest in engineering as a future career
When will successful candidates be notified of their acceptance to STEP Forward Camp?
Successful candidates will be notified beginning in May. We will continue to accept applicants until we have filled all openings.
How must I confirm my intention to attend STEP Forward Camp if I am accepted?
If accepted, a student must confirm his/her intention to attend by mailing a non-refundable $50 deposit to the program office by May 30. DO NOT MAIL A DEPOSIT CHECK UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED OF ACCEPTANCE. Checks should be made out to UH-PROMES and mailed to:
E316 Engineering Building 2,
University of Houston,
Houston, TX 77204-4010
This will be applied to the camp fee of $300. The balance of the payment is due upon arrival at camp. Other questions may be directed to promescamp [at] egr [dot] uh [dot] edu.